What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Baby Brain

At the beginning of the school year I warned all of my children that I now suffer from a condition known as baby brain.  "So if I say anything funny or strange that really just does not make any sense, feel free to raise your hand and ask, 'Mr. Dewey, did you get much sleep last night?' or 'Mr. Dewey, do you have baby brain again?'"  A couple of times I have been called out on my condition--though my baby brain prevents me from recalling most of these circumstances--and then the other day I heard a funny story from a mother of one of my students: "Now whenever she messes up on something, makes a mistake, or forgets something, she says...Oh, it must be baby brain."  It's funny how children adopt language and try it on without fully understanding its meaning.  It's also a reminder of how children bring my speech and behavior home with them.  Funny and a bit frightening.

No comments:

Post a Comment