What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Welcome!



The birth of my first child, Kai Liang, has brought upon an irresistible desire for me to share him--and a bit of myself as it relates to him--with the world.  I could not bring myself to join Facebook, so a blog it is!  He is the inspiration though not necessarily always the subject.

The title of the blog comes from a dream I had the night Linda (my wife) and I found out she was pregnant.  I awoke the next morning, turned to Linda and said "I dreamed its name was Crimson Light!"  Unfortunately, a blog (which made one post in 2002 and that is it!) already had the name, so I looked at the etymology of "crimson" for other ideas and found "kermes."  Interestingly, both crimson and vermillion derive from a genus of insects (kermes) whose dried bodies were used to make red dye.  Anyway, a bit of a tangent.

Welcome!

3 comments:

  1. vernon! what a wonderful father you will be (and obviously already are.) i love this start to kermes light. a powerful tribute. welcome kai liang! i'm sending you and yours lots of good wishes for your early months together...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurel! It is great to hear from you. If you ever have a chance, send me an email and I'd love to catch up.
    Thanks again for the wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the world Kai Ling! I hope the preceding generations are worthy of the blessing. I haven't met your mom but I know you couldn't ask for a better dad. Congratulations Linda and Vernon.

    khaos

    ReplyDelete