What was silent in the father speaks in the son, and often I found in the son the unveiled secret of the father. ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Party Time

If we celebrate the 4th of July every year like we did this year, Kai might start to think he has two birthdays.  Yesterday my parents threw a party for everyone to come and see Kai and party.  Minutes, indeed hours passed of Kai being passed round and round from one person to the next.  Friends and family hovered intently around him to ensure that there would be no Bogarting the baby.  In the month since Kai was born I have never been around him so long without holding him (save for when a diaper needed to be changed.  No one seemed interested in that duty).  A couple of times I would panic with the thought of "Where is Kai?!" feeling the strangeness of his absence from my arms.  My wide eyes would then settle on a friend with Kai sweetly resting his head in the crook of their arm.


Judging by the cake, you might think our son is Uncle Sam, but I guess that's the kind of cake they're expecting you want on the 4th of July.


Scary huh?  You can't see it but we (my dad and I) are both wearing khaki shorts too!  It is one of those moments where find out just how strong heredity can be.  We'll see how far from the tree Kai will fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment